Mr. Barraclough graduated in Medicine and Surgery from the University of Bristol and went on to complete both his basic and higher surgical training in Ear Nose and Throat (ENT) surgery in the West Midlands. He is currently an ENT Consultant working within three hospitals in the Midlands Region looking after patients with a wide range of ENT conditions. He is a Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons and is fully registered with the General Medical Council (membership no. 6025669).
He has undertaken higher specialist training during his career and sub-specialises in rhinology (conditions of the nose) and facial plastic surgery. This includes problems relating to the outside and inside of the nose such as a broken nose, sports and trauma related injuries to the nose, facial pain, sinusitis, nasal polyps, congestion and allergies.
He has spent a number of years training in Birmingham Children’s Hospital caring for paediatric ENT patients. This has acquired advanced knowledge and skills in the management of children with specialised ENT conditions.
He has further trained in the UK, Australia and New Zealand in facial plastics procedures and advanced endoscopic sinus surgery, having worked with renowned surgeons Richard Douglas and Salil Nair in Aukland, New Zealand and Shahz Ahmed in the Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Birmingham. He has also completed the Dunedin ENT Fellowship in New Zealand and worked as a Consultant in Whangarei, New Zealand.
He holds a Masters Degree in Medical Science from Keele University, where he wrote a dissertation on ‘The role of tonsillectomy for recurrent sort throats in children’. His research has since been published in two major journals. He has authored and published over 15 papers in peer reviewed journals and is an invited reviewer of manuscripts for Clinical Otolaryngology and BMJ Open.
He is currently the Lead for the Tracheostomy and Laryngectomy Team (TaLT) in Wolverhampton and also the President of the Young Consultants in Otorhiolaryngology and Head and Neck Surgery (YCOHNS), a national organisation that assists and guides young ENT consultants in the UK. He is also a Council Member of ENT UK.
Mr Barraclough lives in Wolverhampton, loves spending time with his family and especially enjoys running and walking in the Shropshire countryside. He enjoys keeping fit, cooking up a modestly good curry and listening to music as much as time allows.
- FRCS(ORL-HNS) 2014 Royal College of Surgeons of England
- MMedSci 2013 Keele University
- DO-HNS 2006 Royal College of Surgeons of England
- MRCS 2005 Royal College of Surgeons of England
- MBChB 2001 University of Bristol
- ENT UK
- Royal College of Surgeons
- Midland Institute of Otolaryngology – Council Member
- Facial Plastic Surgery UK
- British Rhinological Society
- European Rhinological Society
- British Society of Rhinoplasty Surgeons
Attended as delegate
- 2019 – ARIA Guidelines Update, Brussels
- 2017 – Advanced Frontal Sinus Dissection Course, Coventry
- 2016 – Fifth Bergamo Open Septorhinoplasty Course, Bergamo, Italy
- 2014 – PJ Wormald’s Advanced Endoscopic Sinus Surgery Dissection Course, Adelaide, Australia
- 2014 – Advanced Endoscopic Anterior Skull Base Dissection Course, Coventry
- 2012 – Endoscopic Sinus Anatomy and Intensive Dissection Course, Cambridge University
- 2012 – Faceeyenose, Facial Aesthetic/Oculoplastic and Rhinoplasty Course, Walsgrave Hospital Coventry
Peer Reviewed Journals
E Balai, K Jolly, N Bhamra, MS Osborne, J Barraclough. The changing face of rhinology in the NHS: a study of septoplasty, septorhinoplasty and rhinoplasty hospital episode statistics. Ann R Coll Surg Engl 2021; 000: 1–5 doi: 10.1308/ rcsann.2020.7034Read
Bhamra N , Osborne M, Balai E, Jolly K , Barraclough J. Prevalence of Patients Who Return to Theatre Post-Adenoidectomy: A Review of Hospital Episode Statistics Data (2012-2019) Cureus 18 March 2021; 13(3): e13980. doi: 10.7759/cureus.13980
Jolly K, Darr A, Osborne M, Bhamra N, Barraclough J. A Novel Cost-Effective Safety Adjunct to Flexible Nasendoscopy During The COVID-19 Pandemic: The Personal Protective Endoscopy Mask (PPEM). Authorea. May 19, 2020. doi: 10.22541/au.158990738.86709492Read
Balai E, Bhamra N, Gupta K, Jolly K, Barraclough J. ‘A case of laryngeal fracture precipitated by swallowing’ Cureus 12 (9) e10303 doi:10.7759/cueus.10303Read
Bhamra N, Darr A, Neamonitou F, Barraclough J. ‘A novel and cost-effective technique for securing the nasal septum to the anterior nasal spine in septoplasty and/or rhinoplasty surgery’ Journal of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery Open 21 (2019) 43-47 doi:10.1010/j.jpra.2019.06.001Read
Shaikh Z, Birnie A, Barraclough J
‘Odontogenic causes of maxillary sinusitis and their management’
Journal of ENT Masterclass 2016 Vol 9
‘The role of tonsillectomy for recurrent sore throats in children: A qualitative study’
International Journal of Pediatric Otorhinolaryngology. 2014 Nov;78(11):1974-80.
Barraclough J, Anari S
‘Tonsillectomy for recurrent sore throats in children: indications, outcomes and efficacy’
Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery 2014:150(5); 722-729.
Barraclough J, Radford P, Das I, Jennings C
‘Antibiotic prophylaxis in ENT’
The Otorhinolaryngologist 2011:4(3): 161-163
Barraclough J, Gimblet S, Baht N
‘The use of lasers in middle ear surgery’
The Otorhinolaryngologist 2011; 4(2): 71-74
Barraclough J, Ellis D, Proops D.
‘A new method of construction of obturators for nasal septal perforations and evidence of outcomes’
Clinical Otolaryngology 2007. 32(1), 51–54.
Barraclough J, Pearman K, Solanki G
‘Extradural haematoma presenting as a contralateral sixth nerve palsy after cochlear implantation’ Cochlear
Implants International. 2008 Nov 18.
McDermott AL, Barraclough J, Reid A
‘Unusual complication following trauma to a bone-anchored hearing aid: case report and literature review.’
Journal of Laryngology and Otology. 2008. 23:1-3.
Barraclough J, Uppal H, Silverman S, Helpert C, O’Connell J.
‘Case report: true aneurysm of the facial artery’
Journal of Laryngology and Otology. 2007 Mar 19;1-2.
Karanth M, Taniere P, Barraclough J, Murray J.
‘A rare presentation of zygomycosis (mucormycosis): and review of literature’
Journal of Clinical Pathology. 2005 Aug; 58 (8): 879 – 81.
Mukadam M, Barraclough J, Riley P, Bonser R.
‘Acquired aorto – pulmonary artery fistula following aortic surgery’
Interactive CardioVascular Thoracic Surgery 2005;4:388-390.
‘Nasal Symptoms: diagnostic picture tests’ BMJ Learning Module, 2009
Peer reviewed online teaching module. 2nd Edition currently online.
Published Letters and Reports
Jama GM, Nosseir M, Danino J, Barraclough J
‘Re: Implementation of an evidence-based acute tonsillitis protocol: our experience in one hundred and twenty-six patients.’
Clinical Otolaryngology. 2017 Jan 19. doi: 10.1111/coa.12832.
‘Paediatric Otology and Audiology – Multidisciplinary Seminars, PAOMS 2011’
ENT and Audiology News 2012 20(6), 22.
‘Paediatric Otology and Audiology – Multidisciplinary Seminars, PAOMS 2011’
BSA News Report 2012
‘Re: Pressure application for the management of anterior epistaxis.’
Clin Otol. 2008. 33(3):290. doi: 10.1111/j.1749-4486.2008.01684.x
Barraclough J, Proops D.
‘Response to Yadlapalli and Roy’
Clin Otol. 2007. 32 (5), 402-3. doi: doi:10.1111/j.1749-4486.2007.01520.x
- Current Substantive ENT Consultant surgical practice
NHS – New Cross Hospital Wolverhampton
NHS – Russell’s Hall Hospital
Private – Nuffield Hospital Wolverhampton
- 2015 – Locum ENT Consultant – Whangarei Hospital, New Zealand
- 2014 to 2015 – ENT Fellow – Dunedin Hospital, New Zealand
- 2008 to 2014 – ENT Registrar – West Midlands Training Rotation, UK
- 2007 to 2008 – ENT locum registrar – Peterborough District Hospital
- 2003 to 2006 – Basic Surgical rotation – University Hospitals, Birmingham and Birmingham Children’s Hospital
Regular teaching as faculty member
- Facial plastic surgery cadaver dissection course for ENT trainees, Keele University
- Endoscopic sinus surgery dissection and facial plastic surgery courses for ENT trainees, Coventry University Hospital
- 2018 to present – YCOHNS presentation at British Academic Conference of Otolaryngology
- 2018-present – multiple presentations in regional GP education program
- 2016 – West Midlands ENT Training Day, Wolverhampton ‘Traumatic Anterior Skull Base CSF Leaks’
- 2014 – Midlands Rhinology Meeting ‘Update on paranasal sinus terminology’
- 2014 – Midlands Rhinology Meeting ‘Trigeminal trophic syndrome’
- 2014 – Midlands Opthalmology Meeting ‘Endoscopic optic nerve procedures’
- 2014 – Midland Institute of Otology Winter Meeting ‘The roll of tonsillectomy for recurrent sore throats in children’
- 2010 – Midland Institute of Otology Summer Meeting ‘The use of antibiotic prophylaxis in ENT’
- 2013 – British Association of Oral Surgeons Study Day ‘Common maxillary sinus issues affecting oral surgery: an ENT perspective’
- 2010 – British Academy of Paediatric Otolaryngology 2010 Academic Meeting ‘Do infant hearing tests in cleft palate patients predict outcomes at 5 years?’
- 2009 – British Academic Conference in Otolaryngology ‘The use of antibiotic prophylaxis in ENT’; primary author of this audit which won the Clinical Audit and Practice Advisory Group (CAPAG) presentations prize.
- 2009 – British Academy of Paediatric Otolaryngology 2007 Academic Meeting ‘Investigation of childhood sensorineural hearing loss’
- 2015 – Australia and New Zealand Rhinologic Society Conference ‘Bilateral hatchet flap; an under-utilised flap for facial reconstruction’
- 2007 – 6th European Congress of Oto-Rhino-Laryngology Head & Neck Surgery ‘A New Method Of Construction Of Obturators For Nasal Septal Perforations and Evidence of Outcomes’